Denmark’s best hotel is situated on Lolland
The world’s largest travel website, TripAdvisor, has named Bandholm Hotel as Denmark’s best with parameters such as location, accommodation quality, service and cleanliness.
On the north coast of Lolland overlooking Smålandshavet is Denmark’s best hotet, at least as per TripAdvisor, which has just published their annual Travelers’ Choice list of the 25 best hotels in Denmark. Here occupies the four-star Hotel Bandholm first place.
– We have been in the top three for a long time, so it’s really cool to finally be number one. We are very happy, proud and very humble, says hotel director Joseph Kristiansen.
The users of TripAdvisor evaluate hotels based on a number of parameters, including location, rooms, service, cleanliness and value for money. In all categories is Bandholm Hotel at 4.5 or 5 points out of a possible 5.
– We do a lot to protect our regulars, and many of our guests come back four or five times a year, says Joseph Kristiansen.
Therefore, there are also plans that the new title should be celebrated with the guests in the evening.
– I think we celebrate together with the guests at the bar, where we offer a small one on the house, says hotel director.
At another place in the list comes the five-star Hotel D’Angleterre in Copenhagen followed by Villa Provence in Aarhus in third place.
Making it a success story, four years ago from concerns of closure to be best hotel in Denmark.
Back in November 2013, concerns of closure of Faderhuset was a huge thing for the locals and businesses around the town, when Faderhuset congregation has decided to put Bandholm Hotel for sale.
– It has been owned by the church, but it’s going to be sold off to the other side, says Ruth Evensen co-founder and pastor of the congregation Faderhuset.
The Mayor of Lolland Municipality and local business reactions
– I am as incredible annoyed that Bandholm Hotel can not continue, because I have heard many happy people mention Band Hotel Hotel positive. And it is a good asset for the city Bandholm. So am I sorry, says the socialist mayor Stig Vestergaard.
And, the local business association had similar opinions.
– Generally, I think that of course is worrying when businesses in Lolland-Falster for example, choose to close down. I have the impression that there is off to a good time in activities at Bandholm Hotel, says Mikkel wesselhoff, director of business association Business Lolland-Falster.
Both business association and the mayor hopes that the renovations and the new life that has been breathed into the hotel, will draw a buyer who will continue operating.
Development of Bandholm Hotel
Bandholm Hotel has in recent years undergone a rapid development and has won many awards. Bandholm Hotel has also won TripAdvisor’s coveted Travellers’ Choice Award in 2015, 2016 and 2017 based on user experiences. In addition, the hotel has won the prestigious Luxury Travel Guide’s Luxury Sea View Hotel Of The Year 2016th
Bandholm Hotel operates one of the area’s most popular restaurants with a focus on local produce and gourmet. The restaurant is in December 2015 was voted by DinnerBooking.com as the most popular restaurant in the whole eastern Denmark based on guests’ reviews.
History about the city and its relation with the hotel
Bandholm Hotel is based on the life that through the years have been in and around Bandholm city where the harbor has been the obvious focal point ever since the Middle Ages. The original old inn was royally privileged in the 1692nd
In the mid-1800s there was a resurgence of the city because of the shipping of grain and other agricultural products that took place. A boom which today might be a little hard to spot, but have helped to give the city and the hotel its special identity and romantic nature.
Since the city was at its peak housed the 53 stores. There were several banks, three grocers, several tailors and also two hotels which Bandholm Hotel was considered the finest and most honorable. Additionally, there was down Havnegade several large granaries, of which wheat magazine today is a well preserved example which is definitely worth a visit.
Band Holm’s history is also closely linked to Knuthenborg, who has held most of the city, including the harbor, as the estate still owns along with several city properties. Knuthenborg also has for many years owned Bandholm Hotel and thus also in 1886, when the current sense main building was built. A city and a hotel with lots of history.